History and present time of the castle in Rožmitál under Třemšín

On the place where the present castle is, the son of Budislav from Březnice Oldřich built a castle between 1250 and 1265. He and his offsprings got their name from Rožmitál according to the name of the castle. The lords from Rožmitál – brothers Oldřich and Sezema - owned the whole castle until 1347. In that year, Sezema gave a half of the castle and land to the Prague archbishopric which administered it in the way that it placed its burgraves there. In 1436, the king called Zikmund pawned the archbishopric half to brother Zmrzlík from Svojšín. The demesne wasn´t again connected until 1513 under the rule of Zdeněk Lev from Rožmitál. He got the demesne into big dept because of the costly castle reconstruction. Therefore his son Adam sold the castle to Florián Gryspek from Gryspach in 1555. He enlarged the demesne and rebuilt the castle in the Renaissance style. His grandson Florián was matriculated as “Floriánu Griesbeccius a Griesbach” from Herborn at the at that time smallest German university on 2nd July, 1612. After two years of studies, he got back home and overtook the property rights to the demesne in Rožmitál which he inherited from his father Jan Jiří. Florián, who was bought up in Calvinistic Protestant religion, joined the rebel Czech aristocracy after the Prague defenestration in 1618. Florián wrote to the new government that “he wants to serve his land as its real son”. Florián, the cavalry major, promised to the general Mansfeld to help him with the use of military while conquering Pilsen which was loyal to the king. Pilsen was conquered by the army of the Esates in November 1618. During the fights in Pilsen, the castle in Rožmitál was attacked and conquered by the generalissimo and army court councillor Baltazar de Marradas. Both Florián and his brother Jan Jaroslav got Rožmitál back. They sent the captured Spanish troop to Pilsen to Mansfeld. Because Florián participated actively in the uprising of the Esates, Rožmitál was confiscated and given by Ferdinand II. to the Prague archbishop cardinal count Antošt Vojtěch Harrach after the defeat on the White Hill in 1623. The castle burnt down three times /1160, 1724 and 1813/. Rožmitál remained under the Prague archbishopric until the nationalization in 1948.

 

These days, the castle is a property of weird characters with their seat out of our republic. They don´t look after the castle and it has been decaying. Also the note in front of the castle which says that the castle has been under reconstruction since the 70s of the previous century expresses everything.

On www.staryrozmital.cz/kauza-rozmitalsky-zamek you can find out about the modern history in the large document called “A never-ending case of the castle in Rožmitál”. This document which traces the fate of the castle between 1998 and 2013 arose because of visitors´ questions at the local stud museum who have kept asking why this important monument hasn´t been made accessible for the public and the town and local businessmen would profit from it.

en which was loyal to the king. Pilsen was conquered by the army of the Esates in November 1618. During the fights in Pilsen, the castle in Rožmitál was attacked and conquered by the generalissimo and army court councillor Baltazar de Marradas. Both Florián and his brother Jan Jaroslav got Rožmitál back. They sent the captured Spanish troop to Pilsen to Mansfeld. Because Florián participated actively in the uprising of the Esates, Rožmitál was confiscated and given by Ferdinand II. to the Prague archbishop cardinal count Antošt Vojtěch Harrach after the defeat on the White Hill in 1623. The castle burnt down three times /1160, 1724 and 1813/. Rožmitál remained under the Prague archbishopric until the nationalization in 1948.